Baseball remains one of the most popular pastimes not just in the States but all over the world. However, similar to other sports, it requires a particular set of equipment that demands proper upkeep and maintenance. Chief among these is your bat.
You need to take care of your bat. After all, you want to ensure that you get the most from it. So, be sure to keep reading as we delve deeper into the specific ways you can do just that.
This is perhaps the first thing that comes to mind: why do I even need to take care of my bat? There are several answers to this particular question. It all comes down to your priorities as a player. Listed below are just some of the things that you should consider.
1) Optimizing your Investment – One of the biggest motivators behind proper bat maintenance is getting your money’s worth. As you start using any type of sports equipment, a bit of wear and tear is to be expected. However, this doesn’t mean that you will start using it carelessly. After all, your baseball bat is an investment on your part as you will be using it to hone your skills whenever you take to the field.
2) Practice and Consistency – With every swing you take, you are effectively teaching yourself to improve and be better at what you do. To achieve this, you will need to constantly work at your swing. That said, consistency means sticking to your training and familiarizing yourself with the equipment that you are using. So, for the best results, it only makes sense for you to ensure that your bat stays in the best shape possible.
3) Maximizing Manufacturer’s Warranty – As you are probably aware, your bat often comes with a warranty. However, this won’t cover any signs of abuse or mistreatment. This can be quite annoying especially if you need to have it replaced or repaired.
Now that we have covered why you need to take care of your bat, we must also establish some ground rules. Listed below are some of the things you should remember when it comes to proper bat use.
1) Limit the Bat to individual use – When it comes to using a baseball bat, it is an unspoken rule that everyone should have their own. This is especially important for practice and drills. This means that you are directly responsible for the maintenance and care of your gear.
2) Regularly Check for Damage – As you would expect, your baseball bat is built to take a beating. After all, its primary purpose is to hit objects traveling at high speeds. However, the most important thing when it comes to bat maintenance is to always stay on top of things. This means knowing the state of your bat and always looking for any signs of cracking, breakage, or damage.
3) Practice the Right Swing – Most players don’t realize that there is a specific way to swing your bat that is designed to shield it from premature wear. It is simply a matter of rotating your bat a quarter turn with every swing. By doing so, you are ensuring that you won’t wear down a single side of the barrel. Instead, you are able to distribute the impact evenly with every swing.
4) Avoid Extreme Weather Conditions – As a general rule, you should never use your bat in temperatures below 60°F or 16°C. It can easily cause long-term and irreparable damage to your bat’s barrel.
Make sure to remember these rules as it will save you some major headaches down the road.
Presented below is an overview of the different ways you can take care of your bat. Be sure to follow these tips closely to ensure that your bat stays in the best shape possible.
1) Wipe it Down – The best way to ensure optimal performance is by regularly cleaning your bat. Wipe it with alcohol before every practice. This will help get rid of any dirt and prevent it from accumulating. Remember, if left unchecked, dirt build-up can affect your bat’s balance, power, and feel.
2) Get Rid of Dents – After every session, you will probably notice your bat taking on some minor dents. If you aren’t careful, this will become irreparable. So, be sure to take the time and rub out any misshapen sides. Remember, this is vital to getting the optimal performance out of your bat.
3) Proper Storage – Ideally, you will want to keep your bat in a cool, dry place. This is especially important if you are using a wooden bat. Remember, damp areas and extreme temperatures can do extreme damage to your bat if you aren’t careful.
4) Keep your Bat Upright – It may come as a surprise to many that there is a proper way to store your bat. Specifically, you need to keep it upright with the handle-side up. This will help prevent people from kicking or tripping over it as that can easily cause dents on your bat.
The bat maintenance tips presented above tells you what you need to do to ensure that it is kept in the best possible conditions. However, to properly maintain your bat, you need to have the right tools for the job. So, we have listed the essential tools for the job.
1) Rubbing Cloth and Alcohol – Regularly clean your bat with a clean piece of cloth and some alcohol. This will prove crucial if you want to ensure consistent performance.
2) Grip Tape – This will help you swing the bat with precision and let you rotate it with ease.
3) Bat Rack/Stand – Make sure to put your bat here when not in use.
The baseball bat needs no introduction. It is perhaps one of the most widely recognizable and popular sports equipment around. After all, its iconic design and simplistic look make it stand out amid all the different sporting gear.
That said, like everything else, you need to take care of it. So be sure to remember these tips to ensure that your bat lasts as long as it can.